August 12 Pictures
August 13 Pictures
If anyone ever tells you to take the cheap flight and have more transfers...kick them. It sucks. Well, actually, it only sucks if you are desperately trying to sneak your considerably over-sized backpack on the plane as a carry on and not as a checked bag, which is what we were doing. Randy and I got to the airport just before 5am and got through pretty quickly and then met up with Melissa. Everything was fine until we got to the front of the security line and some asshole...ahem...guy, went running past all the security checkpoints and into the airport screaming. Because of this they had to shut down the entire airport because of the security breach. No people could come or go from the airport and no planes were allowed to land or take off for about 45 minutes. It was supper fun waiting in the line...we were sooo close to getting through before they guy ran in...sigh. Anyways we ended up making our flight. Unfortunately none of us sat together for the first leg of the trip from
August 14 Pictures
So far we all have mild headaches from the altitude but we get to drink Coca tea and that really helps...no mom we aren’t taking Cocaine...the leaves are what they make cocaine out of but only has a minuscule quantity so we aren’t getting all drugged up. Today we explored
Aug 15 Pictures
Today was more fun exploring
Aug 16 Pictures
Today is my birthday!! Yeah! We decided to go on the Sacred Valley Tour to visit Pisac, Ollantaytambo, and Chincheros. WHY didn’t anyone ask if we were going to be climbing stars and hills all day? I wish we had because I am so tired and we start our trek tomorrow...boo!! Very poor planning...but at least we had fun!
Uuummm...hiking is hard. Actually it was pretty tough but we got through it. We got picked up from our hostel and driven to our site at 4:30 am...uuugh. The hiking was pretty intense but I kept a good pace that didn’t kill me and didn’t bother with how far ahead everyone else was, I just wanted to have fun and not die! I had several nose bleeds from the altitude so one of the guides made me ride a horse four about an hour until he was sure I wasn’t going to be sick anymore. Another girl that was with us, Edith, has some serious altitude sickness and had to ride the horse too...she had never ridden on one before though so she was so scared she only stayed on for about 20 mins...heeehee...it was totally cute. Randy was awesome and stayed with me while I was sick (such a good boyfriend) although I suspect it was because he started getting altitude sickness, but we will pretend it's because he really loves me. We go to talk to Edith and her fiancĂ© Giovanni for most of the day, they only problem was they spoke no English...only Italian! So our guide Julion translated for us, it was pretty fun. Tonight we camped and it is so friggin' COLD! The cooks made an awesome dinner...who knew camp food was that good? But the stars are amazing and you can see the Milky Way! And you though it was jut a candy! It was amazing, but we went to sleep pretty fast because tomorrow is the hardest part of our trek. We are climbing almost straight up to Salkuntay and then after than...downhill! YEAH downhill!!
August 18 Pictures
Today was pretty traumatic. First of all...who starts hiking at 5:30 in the morning? Anyways, about 1 hour after we started hiking my nose started bleeding again and Edith and Urike two of the girls on the trek with us got really bad altitude sickness. Julion wanted me to ride a horse again since he didn´t want me to pass out from the nose bleeds...that might have been the first mistake. Urike was riding on the horse in front of mine and both of us had a horse handler leading the horses so we had nothing to hold on to but the blanket the saddle was on. Peruvian saddles sit on about 3 blankets and are a little unstable. When I got on the horse, I knew I should have asked for the saddle to be tightened, but I didn’t. We went over a river bed and my horse decided to jump it and the saddle slipped to the right side and I fell to the ground landing on a rock with my back. The horse obviously got scared and stepped back kicking my right thigh and stepping on my left thigh. I rolled away from the horse as fast as I could and the handler drove the horse away from me. At this point I was in A LOT of pain, I thought I had broken my leg and back from how hard I hit the rock and the weight of the horse. Randy and Julion (our guide) came out of no where running up to help. All I have to say is thank God my sister had me get those pants that zip off at the thigh because that was the only way they could look to see if the horse had broken my leg. I started shivering and turning pale and Randy realized I might be going into shock so he put my legs up and covered me while Julion and the other porter were helping me. The pain started to subsided after about 30 minutes. Since we were in the middle of the mountains it was hard to decide what to do. They could not lift me out by air, I couldn’t walk or ride the horse, no one could carry me over that rough of a terrain and they didn’t have a stretcher. Our second guide Julion though he might have to send me back somehow and I was so upset because all I wanted to do was finish the trek and I knew Randy would not leave me, meaning he would not be able to finish either. Romero (the lead guide) decided that there was no safe way to get me back to
August 19 Pictures
This morning I felt a little better, even though it was 5:30am when we got up, and decided to continue on the trek and not go straight to Santa Teresa by bus or car. I know you think I’m crazy but I had come to far, and been through way to much not finish. I road the horse for a little while but I walked most of the way since it was downhill. Randy held on to me the entire 8 hours that we walked. We traveled into the Cloud Forrest and it was amazing. As we moved downhill it got warmer and warmer and everyone but we was getting eaten alive by bugs...heeehee. I decided that it’s like a banana, I don’t want to eat a bruised one....so a bug wouldn’t want to eat a bruised person...I have to find some humor in it anyways. We arrived in Santa Teresa where they have...HOT SPRINGS! Oh it was awesome...it felt so good to be in water and clean off some after 3 days of trekking. My bruises on my leg are enormous. The one on the left leg now takes up my entire inner thigh, knee to groin...I’m very sexy with my bruises...everyone said so…lol. At dinner Romero and Julion told me I was very brave and they have never had anyone get hurt as badly as I had that continued on the trek. Romero told me I was very strong to keep going and not to cry or complain and that he would be sure to tell stories about me for years to come...I told him my mom would call me a stubborn and insane! He laughed and said his mother would say that about me too. Funny little Peruvian man. We found out that when we arrive in Aguas Calientes tomorrow we get to sleep in a hotel not at a campsite!! YES! Bring on the shower and the bed!
August 20 Pictures
OMG today was so hot. Yuck! We did get to sleep in till 7...so that was pretty awesome. We followed the train tracks from Santa Teresa to Aguas Calaentes. Oh but before we did that we got to cross a huge river on a...wait for it...pulley cart. But this isn’t the pulley cart you are think of…ho no…it’s way better! It’s basically an apple crate with a small metal A-frame big enough to carry about two people that is on an inch thick cable that they push and once you are in the middle (directly above the class 4 or 5 river) they pull you from the other side…nice right? Safe? Of course! Talk about crazy...and painful! I could barely sit so it was pretty excruciating to sit in the cart but we road across and it was actually really fun...until I had to get out...that hurt. But I find everything so amusing at this point it doesn’t matter. Bring on the scary fun! Once again, if anyone ever tells you that you are going on an “adventure” hike…please ask them to define the word “adventure”! So we walked another 6 hours around the back side of
August 21 Pictures
All I can say is it was worth it. We were up and ready by 4:30am to make it to sunrise at
Aug 22: Pringles
Randy is the best. Have I ever mentioned this? We decided to rest for the day at our hostel and I really wanted Pringles so while I was napping he went and got me some! I mean I did have to pout a little but I got them! heehee! Soooo goood! I did nothing today...nothing at all and it was great fun. Randy is getting over a chest cold so we sat around most of the day until going out for dinner with everyone.
Aug 23:
Today was art day! Zack, Susi, Melissa, Randy and I went to several of the art museums. And then we took a nap. Yeah nap! Then we hung around the hostel, had dinner and drank in the bar. Then we went to sleep.
August 24 Pictures
Today while everyone else went on a horseback ridding adventure...which I had already had enough of...Randy and I took a bus tour. We saw the same things as everyone else but we got to do it from the safety and comfort of an air conditioned bus...yes! We visited Sacsayhuaman (that's right...it is pronounced Sexy Woman), Qenqo, Puca pucara and Tambomachay
August 25 Pictures
So Ginny Pig is very popular in
Aug 26: Shopping Day
So when Kate told me the people selling art and other touristy items on the street were aggressive, she wasn’t kidding. Randy and I went out today to shop for everyone’s gifts…and you better all like them! It took forever, mostly because both Randy and I are incapable of making real decisions on anything, let along a joint decision. It took about 5 hours to buy everything. We were accosted by so many venders at one point that some of the security guards had to tell them to lay off…at least that is what we think they told them. Anyways it was a very relaxed day and I must say I am very excited to not be at the hostel after tomorrow…yeah going home!
August 27 Pictures
I hate Taca airlines. Never take them for any reason. The plan for our trip back to the
August 28 Pictures
It only gets more funny as the days go one. We run out of the hotel and are about to get on the plane and are stopped by a representative for the hotel. Apparently we had to pay for all the phone calls we made to the states and to the airlines. We assumed Taca would pay since we wouldn’t have been in this mess to begin with if it wasn’t for them, but oh no, they don’t care and won’t pay. Susi had to run out of the security check point, get money, and run back through. We barely make out plane but we finally get on it and arrive in
August 29 Pictures
seriously…I will never fly again. We are almost to
After all the drama we went through I must say it was worth it.



No comments:
Post a Comment